Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Glass Leg Table web gallery is now open (click on photo)



Every time I describe this table to people they pause and ask me incredulously " it has glass legs?" but oddly no one pauses in front of an all glass door with the same incredulity. Another common question I get is: "Are glass legs strong enough?" Let me put it this way... You could dance the tango on that table without coming near to their breaking point. Glass is a very strong material, somewhat brittle, but very strong.

I have always loved cast glass especially when it is set into some other material. I first tried the idea of a wood mortise and a glass tenon in 1999 with the Anderson bench (below). The legs on the bench were glass to wood which proved difficult to glue. For this, my second glass leg piece, in order to make the wood to glass joint stronger, I decided to use steel flanges as both structural and framing element. Not only do they make the legs stronger but they allows the table to be disassembled for moving or flat pack shipping.

The gallery documents some of the many steps in the creation of the Glass Leg Table. Click on "view" for price and ordering information. You may see many more of my pieces at www.glassmarcus.com

Anyone want one in black walnut?



The Anderson bench

No comments: